Little hey little ho,
One week down! You know that thing they say about just making it to Sunday? One trillion percent true. Those first few days were the longest thing I’ve maybe ever experienced, but once Sunday hit it’s just been flying. Ok important announcement. We don’t leave Tuesday, we leave Monday! Not really sure why all 13 of us thought the 23rd was a Tuesday…. So Mom, expect that phone call sometime in the early morning hours of Monday. I am so sorry it’s on a work day. So we report to the travel office at 3:30, and our flight is at 7:30 AM, so I should be calling sometime in the 5ish 6ish range, aka 4ish 5ish range your time.
A million thanks to everyone who has sent mail, packages, etc. Nancy sent me a DearElder in which she commiserated about not remembering what you need to say when it gets down to crunch time. So yeah, just know that that is still happening. I’ll get better at keeping track throughout the week. Promise. But for now, here’s another list of random thoughts for you.
1. I’ve been drinking the water here. Talk about blessings. For anyone that doesn’t know, I’m normally not stoked on tap water, and I keep an endless supply of water bottles in my room. But it’s been aight here.
2. This week has been a real growing experience with our zone/district. I feel really close to everybody. In fact, I got a little sick this week so I asked the elders in my district for a blessing. They were so good. Elder Peugnet got a little nervous and went a little overboard on the anointing…. so you could say my hair was a little greasy after that, but it was great. There was a seriously powerful Spirit in the room.
3. This is a cool thing that Sara Plater shared with me when she went in to the MTC, but I didn’t fully digest until now. Ok so scripture chase. What does God do? As in work, play, etc., etc. Answer: Moses 1:39. For anybody who doesn’t want to look that up/ doesn’t have that one memorized, God’s work and glory is to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man. How? 2 Nephi 31. Doctrine of Christ. God tells us explicitly that he wants us back, and the way we get back to Him is to have faith in and follow Christ, repent, be baptized, receive the Holy Ghost, and endure to the end. Seriously, how often does Heavenly Father speak in the scriptures? Not as often as Christ. But when He does speak, it’s because He’s telling us how to get back to Him.
Ok so what is my purpose as a missionary? It is to “Invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored Gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end.” AKA my purpose is to help people along the path to salvation and eternal life.
God’s purpose: To bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.
My purpose: To bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.
My purpose = God’s purpose. Neat, huh?
4. We are teaching a man named Gabriel. He’s from Chile. Every other sentence he says “I am craaaassy ju know.” He’s great. He’s so open and faithful and wonderful. Tonight is our last night teaching him. We’re going to sing to him I think.
5. I saw Anna Hubert’s husband the other night. Get it, Anna.
6. The main mtc cafeteria stresses me out. We were up there yesterday for this big meeting called In-field Orientation. But I ate a spinach wrap. Twice. So that was nice.
Ok I’m running out of things. Can you tell? I’m going to start working on pictures now.
7. Oh here’s another thing. For anyone that also read Sara Plater’s email, with regard to the misconception about missionary work: I just want to echo her sentiments. This work is not about increasing our numbers. It’s about Eternal Life. It’s about people, and their relationship with God, and bringing them closer to Christ and helping them receive His Gospel. So.